Saturday, August 25, 2007

Philippians 1-4; Proverbs 20:1-10

Saturday's Bible Reading: Philippians 1-4; Proverbs 20:1-10
[T]he gifts you sent . . . are a fragrant offering, an acceptable sacrifice, pleasing to God. —Philippians 4:18

Rather than a "fragrant offering," we were visited tonight by a strong odor that I can only describe as the combination of a frightened skunk, burning garbage, and leaking gasoline.

What happened is kind of sketchy, but about 10 p.m. Maggie came downstairs with something urgent on her mind. Usually this means that she has to go outside to do business. But instead of trying to get my attention, she went to all the corners of my office as if she was trying to get away from something. Then I smelled it. The stench described above. I hurried upstairs to determine the source. Jay was on the porch reading. Nothing was burning. But the smell was everywhere. I brought him downstairs. We tried to locate the place where it was strongest.

Our noses led us to Maggie. "You know," he said, bending down to sniff her fur, "she went after something in the woods when I took her out, but I pulled her back. I didn't think she had time to get into anything."

Well, apparently she did, and it was foul! She had the look of guilt to go with the smell. Ears flat. Eyes big. Head lowered. She knew something was wrong, but she didn't know how to make it right. We were about to tell her, but she didn't want to hear it. She tried hiding, but there was no hiding that smell! She just spread it to the rest of the house. We finally got her into the garage and into a tub of water. Jay scrubbed her while I washed her bedding and sprayed the house with room deodorizer and Febreeze.

It's better now. I think we'll be able to sleep.

Poor Maggie. Her experience brought to mind the times I've tried to get away from something unpleasant, not realizing that the unpleasantness was me.

Even being on a leash doesn't keep us out of trouble all of the time.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home